So, once you get to this famed position, the question likely strikes (at least it did me); where to from here? So I looked ahead and tried to figure out what I wanted my OS to do...
I emerged from my time of thinking with some ideas:
- I wanted NickOS to run in protected mode, with access to the higher parts of memory and probably using paging too.
- I wanted to load some kind of kernel separate from the boot loader.
- The kernel should manage memory, maybe allow multitasking,
- And I needed to read from a disk and draw to the screen.
- And, of course, I wanted to ultimately write programs that would run on NickOS
So rather than trying to write the entire kernel in one, I would work on each piece separately, one step, one baby step, at a time. And where better place to start, than protected mode.